Thursday, May 10, 2007

SAVEUR magazine: loves me, hates my liver

What's it called when whenever you read something about a specific cocktail, you can't really rest until you've made one for yourself? Whatever that is, I've got it. And, since this is the month of the Kentucky Derby, SAVEUR magazine recently had a whole article on the mint julep. So yesterday, after dreaming about it for a week, I got around to making one for myself, just to see what it is that those damn Kentuckyians love so much. (Note: I'm not a rookie, I've had plenty of juleps before, just not using this recipe.) And, holy hell, it calls for a lot of bourbon. Like 1/2 cup of bourbon. Consequently, I discovered halfway through this thing why horse racing is so popular in Kentucky: they're so bombed off their collective ass that they'd probably enjoy anything running really fast past them.



I should note that this comes on top of the NY Times running a damn gin comparison, thus instilling in me an unquenchable desire to buy 3 or 4 bottles of gin and do nothing but sit on my porch drinking G&Ts. Damn NY Times.