Thursday, May 10, 2007

Pretentious Statement of the Year: Contestant #1

It's really never too early to begin our search for the year's most pretentious comment. While perusing the interwebs today, we noticed an interview conducted by perennial Icon of Pretension Angelina Jolie. No doubt, we thought, this article is sure to be a goldmine of glib smugness, since it is all about her favorite two subjects: herself, and her generosity. Moving past the quintessentially Jolie statements like "It became clear to us that it might be important to have somebody around who is similar to the other children so they have a connection," we come to this spectacularly pretentious statement, whose massive quantity of pretentiousness is dramatically enhanced by its pretentions of humility. Witness the greatness:

"I could be dressed up in the sexiest outfit for a photo shoot, and by his [Brad Pitt's] behavior, he'll let me know that's nice, but it's nothing as sexy as when I'm home surrounded by the kids or reading books, educating myself."
Wow. Incredibly annoying. Am I wrong to read into that one? Have I simply passed the Jolie Event Horizon, where literally nothing she does can impress me?