Thursday, July 5, 2007

My neighbor gets his swear on...

The other night my wife and I were sitting on the couch in our front room, watching episodes of "Undeclared" (Judd Apatow's criminally underappreciated--and hence cancelled--sitcom of a few years back), when a horrific automobile crashing sound came from the corner up the street. Indeed, two cars had collided, and the impact was rather severe. As I ran towards the scene of the crash, one of my neighbors (a 45 year old skateboarding guitar player), who lives on the corner where the crash occurred, ran out, saying, "Did someone run a stop sign here tonight? Goddam motherfu----- piece of sh-- ass----!" As profanity goes, it was quite a performance. He then said "She ran the stop sign, so fu-- her!!" several times in the next ten minutes. Each time, he said it loud enough for the driver in question to hear.

For some reason, it's one of my favorite things in the world when people introduce profanity into casual conversation, especially if I don't know them that well. I don't know why that is, but it makes me feel special that they assume I have no problem with gratuitous swearing. Which I don't.